Jan 15, 2014

Evangelism

This week we had Brigida, one of our staff, teach us on the topic of Evangelism. In the weeks in which I had come to know this wonderful woman of God, I grew to appreciate and love her but I had my doubts on what she was going to be teaching. Evangelism to me had always been about preaching to people and getting them to accept Jesus as their Savior and repent of everything they had ever done wrong in their lives. But, as I learned during this week, evangelism is meant to mean something quite different.

I can be bold when I want to, but I'm not the type of person to just randomly strike up a conversation with anyone I meet, especially when involving Christianity. I'm learning to step out of my comfort zone and to talk to people about my faith in a way that conveys truth and authority instead of a "Bible bashing believer". God was able to show me this week, that the best way in which to share my faith is following the example Jesus laid out. How did he reach out to people?

Jesus reached out to people by: loving on them, being open to everyone who came to him (regardless of gender, background, occupation, etc.), being humble, being bold, comforting them, healing their hearts and physical bodies, and being a light to them. Honestly, when God showed it to me in those terms and that evangelism really is that simple, I was thinking "come on, all this time you've just wanted me to love people, talk to them, and be there for them no matter what?!?".

We can make the Gospel so complicated and make evangelism sound so scary and difficult, but it doesn't have to be! The Gospel is basically:
God created us to be with Him.
O
ur sins separate us from God.
S
in cannot be removed by good works.
P
aying the price for our sin, Jesus died and rose again.
E
veryone who trusts in Him alone has eternal life.
L
ife with Jesus starts now and lasts forever.
That's the Gospel in a nutshell, and you don't have to go to Bible school to learn that. Now, evangelism for me isn't scary. It's a chance to share God's love with people which I should be doing day to day anyway. I am learning to walk in love and follow Jesus' footsteps, and it has been so good!

Thank you for reading!

Prayer requests: Safe travels as my fellow students and I being our outreach journeys on Friday, health, finances for those who still need them, to remember everything we need to pack (!), and for an excitement for the things God has in store!


If you would like to support me please email me at amyt.dr@gmail.com
Christmas Down Under!

No comments:

Post a Comment