May 25, 2016

Care Free...What Does That Mean?


"When was the last time you were care free?" As I was enjoying some sunshine on Monday afternoon this question interrupted my thoughts. As a trio of birds flew over head I pondered the question. Every day, from the moment we awake till our heads hit the pillow, we are faced with questions, concerns and challenges.
"What will I wear?"
"What kind of weather will there be today?"
"What will I eat today?"
"How will I get to work/school?"
"How will I pay the bills? Where is the money coming from?"
"What does that person think of me?"
"Where will I find the time do get x, y and z finished?"
"Did ____ remember to do ___?"

These and many more are questions we face every day. How can we possibly keep up? I have often heard little children used as an example to portray a lifestyle that seems care free. But, even children have concerns though some may seem trivial in comparison with what we worry over as young people and adults. However, in a sense isn't most worry just trivial?

"Look at the birds. They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren't you far more valuable to him than they are? Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?" Matthew 6:26-27 (emphasis mine)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take." Proverbs 3:5-6

God tells us over and over again throughout the Bible that we have no need to worry. He promises that if we turn to Him for help and guidance that an answer/solution will come. From the beginning of time He has never failed to keep a promise. Yet, often times I need a daily reminder of His faithfulness. He is God. He knows what is taking place. He knows the desires of my heart. He cares. And He has it all under control.

How many times must I be reminded to trust? How many times must I surrender control? When can I stop asking questions and worrying? When time is no longer valid, I will still need to be reminded to trust and to surrender. I can keep asking questions, He's given me permission but under a specific guideline. The guideline involves quitting worry. For when I trust and let God handle the situation, before I even reach the end of my rope, I can stop worrying. He's got it. God is God. And my God is good!

So breathe, trust and let go. Learn what it means to be care free.

No comments:

Post a Comment